Aesthetic medicine expands the alternatives to delay the signs of aging, without the need for surgery. Dermal fillers are a sample. The use of these injectables gains strength, facing wrinkles, camouflaging scars and concealing hyperpigmentation.
When it comes to the face, people are looking for possibilities that involve less risk and offer natural results. Treatments of this class stand out for their almost immediate effects and for their non-invasive nature .
The method uses substances that improve specific conditions in the skin. Learn more about the subject.
Table of Contents
What are dermal fillers?
Injectables or dermal facial fillers are a type of aesthetic procedure whose objective is to rejuvenate the face, infiltrating special compounds that eliminate expression lines, change the appearance of the lips and unify the skin tone.
Through the application of certain products, soft tissue defects are corrected, as stated by the International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. They have the approval of the Food and Drug Administration of the United States (FDA, according to its acronym in English) for the application in people over 22 years of age.
The FDA describes them as implants that help make the face look smoother. For this purpose, they transfer absorbable or temporary materials in skin injections.
Types of facial fillers
Regardless of the brands, dermal fillers are classified according to their duration on the skin :
Another classification responds to the formulas, which mostly use ingredients such as those presented below. Read on to find out.
Through facial fillers with this compound it is possible to stimulate the fibers that produce natural collagen, so that touch-ups will be less necessary to preserve the elasticity of the skin.
The Argentine Dermatology magazine points out that collagen is a structural protein of connective tissue and that its function is to provide mechanical support; a target enhanced with gel infiltration.
hyaluronic acid (HA)
This glycosaminoglycan has a high molecular weight and is present in all body fluids and tissues, the skin being its largest reservoir, as explained by Actas Dermo-Sifilográficos .
HA acts as a moisturizer and softener. It is suitable if you want to hide incipient wrinkles or add volume. Its great advantage is that the body absorbs it.
Polylactic acid (PLA)
To create volume, the APL is injected just below the area that shows imperfection. This acid is a temporary and biodegradable filler.
Sculptra ® , one of the brands that offers the product on the market, reports that it is commonly indicated for the correction of deficiencies that go from superficial to deep in the nasolabial fold and to reduce other wrinkles.
TIP Specialized Magazine in Chemical-Biological Sciences comments that calcium hydroxyapatite is a biocompatible material with various uses in medicine . In the aesthetic field, the component works as a collagen generator.
This aqueous gel is usually infiltrated to fill facial wrinkles and furrows. They consider it a long-acting injectable, because it activates bone cells and connective tissue.
Benefits of dermal fillers
In general, facial fillers restore the volume and elasticity that the years take away from the skin. The preference for these treatments is largely due to their benefits.
- Minimal sequelae: side effects are mild, compared to other aesthetic treatments.
- Subtle appearance: One of the purposes of dermal injections is to make the image look natural.
- Increase collagen production: Several of the fillers promote the natural production of collagen, which supports skin health .
- They are not invasive: the needles used to infiltrate the substances are tiny and the procedure is similar to an injection of medicine. They do not cause pain, so they do not require anesthesia.
- They are personalized: the technique consists of adapting the filling to what each skin requires . In fact, many of the infiltrated substances are produced by the body naturally.
- Rest exemption: you do not have to stop the routine after facial injections. With some care is enough. Avoid direct sunlight and use makeup during the days indicated by the professional. Cleanse and moisturize according to the instructions.